Constipation is one of the problems in babies when you begin to give other things to baby apart from our breast milk. Usually babies mostly breast fed do not tend to get constipation. When you introduce formula feed and other baby food chances of your baby getting constipated are higher .
What is constipation?
In simple words, constipation is a situation where there is infrequent bowel movement i.e. hard to pass out.
The usual complaint of a mother is
- my baby has not pooped for long now.
- he/she doesn’t pass out every day.
- my baby poops once in 3 days.
I have this complaint too.. In the past one month my daughter has been passing out every alternate days. And the day she poops she struggles while passing out. It becomes very hard.
Well, this is not a very serious or life threatening problem. But, it is a daily struggle to be normal and non-fussy.
Here are some methods which helps baby In Getting Rid Of The Constipation:-
- Dissolve hing in warm water and apply around belly button and center of the stomach.
- Ajwain boiled in water helps too.You can boil a tsp of ajwain in water and give 2-3 tsp. as per baby age.
- Soak raisins in drinking water for about 4 hours and give 2 spoons of water every day until the passing out routine gets to normal. This has been really helpful.
- Apply a little ghee to the opening of the baby’s rectum. This helps the feces to slip out without hurting.
- If you are breast feeding, then include lots of fibrous food in your diet. This will help in bowel movement for your baby too.
- Few spoons of warm water is a must several times in a day.
- Apply some ghee to the stem of the beetle leaves and insert slightly into the opening of the rectum of the baby. This will initiate the flow of the feces most of the time. Careful not to insert too much.
- I have heard elders say about half a spoon honey dissolved in 3-4 spoons warm water also helps. But I have not tried this so far as honey is controverial and is not advised to babies.
Note that the above mentioned are all for older babies. I am not sure if these could be fine for new born infants. Consult your doctor in extreme cases
Image Source: 1
You might also like reading these:-