Are PCOD & PCOS Same And How To Handle PCOD
Many of you must have come across these terms in common parlance as these are one of the major issues women face in their reproductive years. Well, we often read about it in health magazines but a query always arises whether these two reproductive issues are same or different. So here is what has been told by health experts that both of the names PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) & PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) are actually different names of the same reproductive issue which affects the production of eggs in the ovaries in women.
There are many chances that PCOD will eventually lead to PCOS in case of continued pressures of lifestyle & diet changes in the body.
Women suffering from poly cystic ovarian disease (PCOD) have multiple small cysts in their ovaries. These cysts occur when the regular changes of a normal menstrual cycle are disturbed due to lifestyle changes & other psychological issues.. The ovary is enlarged and produces excessive amounts of male hormones. This excess, along with the absence of ovulation, may even be a possible reason to cause infertility.
PCOD is a situation in the reproductive system which affects ovary that can produce different problems to women as below.
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Hormonal changes
- Deceased Insulin production
- Heart & blood vessels problems
- High levels of male hormones (androgens)
Factors causing PCOD/PCOS-
Truly speaking there are no definite facts about the exact cause of this disease but following are a few of the commonly seen problems in women who suffer from this disease-
- The drastic lifestyle changes and diet patterns including junk food, unhealthy lifestyle etc. young women are facing this problem most commonly.
- This is a common non-functional ovarian disorder as it fails to develop a mature egg and generate multiple immature follicles. Due to these multiple cysts hormonal imbalance occurs. Stress is one of the most crucial factors for this disease and needs to be checked at the earliest otherwise may lead to major reproductive functions.
- Abnormal weight gain is also one of the possible causes of PCOS/PCOD in most of the women.
- Health issues like Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol are definitely indicators that you may be a possible patient of PCOD/PCOS.
Handling PCOD naturally-
- PCOD is a major concern for women who wish to get pregnant as it may just hinder their way in conceiving. Apart from medicinal & surgical procedures, PCOD can also be treated naturally in a holistic way by following the below things-
- Keep a watch on your lifestyle & make attempts to change it at the earliest. Proper sleep & rest are a must to have a sound mind & body.
- Too much stress can also lead to a non-functional ovarian syndrome so relax & keep your mind stress free. Engage in meditation & other recreational activities to combat stress.
- Keep a watch on your weight as the increasing pounds may just be the possible reasons for you to develop PCOD in the coming days if not overlooked carefully.
- Eat healthy food. Depending upon too much junk food is a possible reason which may disturb the normal function of the ovaries and you may face a missed period or absence of periods due to it.
Was this information helpful?
You might also like to read:-