Gas is a common problem in babies. It makes the situation worse when babies become fussy due to gas trapped in their stomach.
My baby had experienced this when she was 1.5 months old. It was tough time then.
How do you identify gas in your baby?
- Babies become very fussy and non-sleepy.
- Babies lift their leg and make the body boat shaped and wail out of dis-comfort.
- Babies reduce their feed intake quantity.
How can you help colic babies?
If you are breast feeding your baby, then change your diet. Your diet can be helpful to your baby. Increase intake of food diet that helps in releasing gas. Babies will receive these through your breast milk.
Make sure your baby burps after every feed. This is very important.
Slowly make your baby sit after feeding. This will put a small pressure on to the baby’s stomach and help burping.
Doctor’s say about colic babies:
- My pediatrician had prescribed Colicaid oral drops for her to cope with the gas. It expels out the trapped gas.
- Gripe water can also be used. It is the most common resolution to treat colic in babies.
- Himalaya Bonnisan was prescribed by my doctor for daily use for my baby after she suffered from severe gas.
- Use formula feeds that help fussiness and gas in babies. Enfamil Gentlease Infant Formula for Fussiness and Gas is suggested by most pediatricians. For lactose intolerance babies, Similac Sensitive Infant Formula can also be used for fussiness and gas in babies.
Homemade remedies for colic in babies:
After my baby suffered from major gas trouble, I have always been careful about her diet even till today.
At least twice a week I give her some of the home made gripe water. It is just an initiative I took to prevent gas problem in her.
My most used remedy for colic:
- Boil half spoon ajawin in water. Boil till water reduces in its quantity. One spoon of this ajwain water is one of the best homemade gripe water I have known.
- Dissolve a pinch of asafetida/hing in water. Dip your finger into the hing water and apply it on the navel area of the baby.
Hope this was helpful.
P.S: Do not self medicate. This article is just to share my experience I have gone through in raising my daughter.