Essential Fatty Acids In Your Child’s Diet
Do you know about essential fatty acid? Essential fatty acids are very significant component because it is beneficial for children’s health as well as development. Omega-3 fatty acid mostly found in fishes. Hence, today in this article we are discussing about essential fatty acid for your child’s need, their sources and hoe to involve in your child’s diet.
Essential fatty acid which is also identifies as EFAs is responsible for child’s physical, mental growth, emotional, and well being. Essential fatty acid also impacts immune strength, reduce inflammation, brain function, and healthy skin. There are three types of omega-3 that are as follows;
- Alpha-linoleic acid (ALA),
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and
- docosahexaenoic acid (DHA.
If you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian there is many sources are available that are as follows;
- Marine-based DHA and EPA: This is especially found incan be fatty fish, comprising salmon, sardines, rainbow trout, mackerel, and herring
- Plant-based ALA: this is mainly found in flaxseeds, soybean oil, walnuts, and kale. When eaten the body partly changes ALA into DHA and EPA.
Recommended amount of EFAs in your child’s diet:
Many parents are confused that how much we amount of this essential fatty acid we provide to our child. These amount are mostly depends upon the age of the child and they are as follows;
- Ages 1 to 3 years: 700 mg, or 0.7 grams, of omega-3 daily
- Ages 4 to 8 years: 900 mg, or 0.9 grams, of omega-3 daily
Take in Essential Fatty Acids in your child’s regular diet by mingling with juices, waffles, smoothies, puddings of over pancakes and cereals.
Sources of essential fatty acid:
Now, here we are giving a chart in which the best sources of these omega-3 fatty acids and given and they are as follows;
Omega-3 EFAs obtained from cold-water fish such as salmon, herring, sardines mackerel, bluefish and black cod. Definite plant sources like flax, walnut, hemp seeds and pumpkin comprise the precursor to omega-3 EFAs.
Food or Beverage
Essential fatty acid
- 1 teaspoon
wheat germ oil
- 310 mg
flax seeds ground
- 411 mg
- 300 mg
- 100 mg
fortified peanut butter
- 4,950 mg
soybeans (dried, cooked
- 2,293 mg
- 466 mg
- 1 teaspoon
- 3,360 mg
- 2,400 mg
Importance of Essential fatty acids in your child’s diet:
- The essential fatty acid is responsible for production of the cell membranes that helps to uptake nutrients and eliminates wastes, and support in cell to cell communication.
- It promotes with the body’s immune system because it decrease the inflammation.
- It is very necessary for growing children’s by way of them enhance neurological functioning.
- Fetuses as well as breast-fed infants also need this essential fatty acid from maternal nutrition.
- The essential fatty acid is the bases of DHA and EPA that ply a significant role for children’s in the development of brain.
- Certain studies indicate that EFAs are helpful for learning as well as and immune function in children.
- If the supplementation of DHA is given to breast-feeding moms for four months next to birth then it is observed that better considerations of reasoning function such as vocabulary and understanding in the infants.
- It is very difficult to achieve the entire nutrient from the diet, so that supplement is necessary which is in liquid or pill form.
- Addition of flaxseeds to salads as well as to vegetables is an inordinate way to raise the acceptance of ALA in a kid’s diet.
Hence, these are some importance of the essential fatty acids and must to involve in your child’s diet and I hope you find this article very informative as well as beneficial.
Were these informations useful to you?
You might also like reading these:-