Full-time rest is one of the main components for the health of a newborn child. The importance of sleep cannot be overestimated – it is necessary for normal growth and development of the baby. But not all mothers know how many hours the baby has to sleep, and what daily routine should be followed. In particular, this applies to women who gave birth to a first-born child.
Meanwhile, every mother needs to know how many hours should sleep a newborn baby to be sure that its baby is absolutely healthy, is developing normally and does not lag behind its peers. Especially since sleep disturbance is observed in every third baby, which has a negative impact not only on the health of the baby, but also leads to bad consequences for the mother. After all, breastfeeding mother also needs a full rest, which is impossible if the newborn baby does not sleep at night, and he does not have a clear regime of sleep and waking. And constant lack of sleep is fraught with deteriorating health, which can lead not only to health problems, but also to a decrease in lactation. So, how long does a breastfeed have to sleep?
Sleep rates of a newborn baby in its first month of life.
You don’t have to be scared if the first three months of life the baby sleeps too much. Each baby develops individually, but if you take the average, the day a baby has to sleep from 16 to 20 hours. In this case, the duration of day and night sleep is often almost the same, because the child has no clear regime yet.
At night rest is from 6 to 9 hours. The length of sleep depends primarily on what kind of feeding the mother practices. So, if she feeds crumb strictly for hours and is a supporter of separate sleep, the time of night rest is likely to be no more than 5-6 hours. If parents practice joint sleep, and the baby gets breast on demand, sleeps all night next to the mother and constantly feels her presence, he can sleep for a long time – more than 8 hours. With this approach, a full rest is not only the child, but also the mother, who does not need to get up several times a night to the crib: giving the breast or a bottle, she sleeps quietly next.
During daytime sleep it takes from 10 to 14 hours. In extremely rare cases, babies sleep during the day for 2 hours. Basically, the baby does not sleep much during the day: his sleep is frequent, but not very long – 30-40 minutes. Then the baby wakes up to eat, stays awake for a while (1.5 to 2.5 hours) and falls asleep again, but again for a short time. If the baby does not sleep all day, it is a serious cause for concern.
It is also possible to talk about obvious sleep disturbances if the newborn wakes up every 5-10 minutes. In this case, the baby behaves restlessly, capriciously, begins to cry and falls asleep very hard. Also deviation from the norm is considered if the baby is awake for more than 5 hours in a row, and the total sleeping time per day is less than 16 hours.
Thus, according to the average data, a child at the age of 1 month sleeps 7-9 times a day, and the duration of sleep ranges from 30 minutes to 2 hours during the day, and from 2.5 to 5 hours at night. In this case, the phase of superficial sleep lasts about half an hour, and in this period of time the baby can wake up any, even a low sound. After 25-30 minutes, there is a deep sleep, which lasts until the baby is hungry – from 1 to 2 hours.
Reasons for sleep disturbance
Sleep problems can be caused by many causes. So among the most common factors why a baby does not sleep well, the following reasons:
- Baby’s got the wrong day and night. The baby is still very young, and certainly not able to distinguish the time of day. Cases when the baby is confused morning and evening are very frequent: the baby does not sleep well at night, or even actively stay awake until morning, and then nap all day. Even weather conditions can affect sleeping disorders: a sudden change in the weather (rain, thunderstorms, blizzards) can provoke spikes in blood pressure, resulting in a newborn baby does not sleep well.
- The baby is worried about something. Painful sensations are the most common cause of intermittent sleep in infants. For example, a newborn baby can suffer from colic or high intracranial pressure. It’s important to be able to determine what’s troubling the little man. When colicky, the baby cries and presses his legs against his stomach, he has increased gas formation, bloating. If a child has a cold, then do not be surprised why the baby does not sleep well at night: stuffy nose, cough and high fever constantly disturbing the baby, disturbing his sleep.
- Uncomfortable conditions for sleep. It can be too high or low in the baby’s room. If the apartment is very hot, the baby’s sleep will be quite intermittent. The optimal temperature in the house is between 20 and 24 degrees. If it is higher or lower, the baby feels uncomfortable, and therefore often wakes up.
Sometimes long sleep is prevented by bright daylight, which makes the baby sleep bad during the day. Last but not least, the baby’s bedding and mattress play a role. The presence of extraneous sounds may also be one of the reasons why a newborn baby does not sleep well.
- The mother’s not feeling well. The connection between a newborn baby and its mother is very close. And if the mother is very concerned or upset about something, her condition will be transmitted to the baby. So it is important that the atmosphere in the family is always comfortable not only for the baby, but also for parents.
- Lack of attention. If the mother has a lot of household chores (laundry, cleaning, cooking) and the baby does not have enough care and affection, then do not be surprised that the sleep crumbs will be restless and intermittent – the baby will wake up every half hour to make sure that the mother is near. Once they find her near them and get a sissy or bottle, the baby can fall asleep again fairly quickly. But if the mother is not around, there is likely to be hysteria and the procedure to go to sleep again.
- Overfatigue. If the baby does not go to bed on time, then overworked, he will sleep very hard. The same will happen if the baby is overexcited: having played out before the night’s rest, the baby falls asleep badly. Sometimes the baby reacts negatively to meet new people – for him it is a kind of stress, because of which the newborn baby sleeps little.
When the baby wakes up at night, it is first necessary to check whether the diaper (diaper) is dry. The baby may have woken up simply because of discomfort. In this case, it is enough to change the diaper and put the baby to the chest so that he falls asleep for another 3-4 hours.
Many mothers of newborn babies face this problem: the baby sleeps only in the mother’s arms, and when it is transferred to the crib, it wakes up immediately. This behavior of the baby is understandable: the baby got used to being near his mother all the time, hear her heartbeat, voice. And when these sounds disappear, the feeling of comfort is lost, he is replaced by fear.
How to normalize sleep
So what do parents do if the baby doesn’t sleep well? Knowing how many newborns sleep in the first month of life, it is necessary to carefully adjust the regime of the day of the baby, to do this you should adhere to the following recommendations:
- Always prepare the baby for night sleep at the same time. It is allowed to deviate – give or take an hour from the scheduled time. If a child has confused the time of day, then to get his sleep back in the right direction, you should put it on the night an hour or two later than usual. It is important to follow the order of procedures performed before night sleep: buy a baby, make a massage, put on a clean diaper, feed, lay out the crib. Some moms sing songs, read fairy tales. Soon the toddler will get used to falling asleep at the same time.
- It’s early to prepare the baby for night sleep. For 1.5-2 hours before laying the crumb to sleep, it is necessary to exclude all active games and create a calm atmosphere in the apartment. It is important that the baby tune in to sleep, and for this you need to make sure that he was calm and relaxed. If the baby is overexcited, his emotions will prevent him from falling asleep and he will sleep restlessly throughout the night. You can’t bring the baby to overwork. Which means it is necessary to make sure that the day’s sleep is as long as possible.
- Outdoors with the baby every day. Walking is a mandatory daily procedure for your child. And if the baby does not sleep during the day, they are especially important: as a rule, after a long stay in the fresh air, babies have almost no problems sleeping. The lungs are oxygenated and many babies even sleep in the stroller while they are out for a walk. If the baby does not sleep at all during the day, it is desirable to walk with him at least twice a day (morning and evening), making the exception only in cold and rainy weather.
- Observe the feeding mode. Each mother decides for herself how to feed her baby – on demand or by the hour. But it is necessary to know that in any approach, the break between feeding should not exceed three hours. Important: if the baby does not wake up 4 hours after feeding to eat, it is necessary to wake him up to feed.
- The breastfeeding mother should carefully monitor her nutrition. During lactation, the mother should only eat food that will not cause gassing and painful colic. It is also important to exclude allergens such as citrus fruits, chocolate and other sweets.
- Give your baby vitamin D. This is mandatory for all children up to one year. Vitamin D crumb should be taken six times a week, one drop at a time.
- Bathe the baby every day. Bathing for your baby is not only a mandatory hygiene, but also a relaxing procedure, after which he will sleep tight. It is recommended to add broths of medicinal herbs to the water. If a newborn baby does not sleep for the right amount of time, it is best for children’s baths are suitable herbs such as chamomile, succession and celandine – they will soothe the baby, help relax and relieve overexcitation.
Create a welcoming, relaxing environment in the home. It is necessary to protect the baby from all kinds of scandals, do not allow sharp sounds, loud conversations, music. It is especially important to maintain silence in the house, when the baby sleeps. Loud noise can not only wake up, but also greatly frighten the baby, which is fraught with consequences. It is recommended to use a nightlight when sleeping at night. Its presence will allow your baby to see his mother even in the dark, which means that the baby will not be afraid. Night curtains or blinds can be used during the day: a dim light, unlike during the day, does not irritate, but has a calming effect. It is important that the bed linen is made of soft natural fabric. The mattress should be chosen for medium stiffness.
- Keep the temperature of a baby in the room no more than 24 degrees. Baby should not be overcooled, but it is not recommended to wrap the baby unnecessarily – this is also one of the reasons why the baby sleeps little during the day. For a good sleep baby the optimal air temperature is from 18 to 22 degrees. In addition, it is necessary to air the apartment every day at least twice (in the morning after waking up and in the evening before bed) and every day to spend in the children’s room wet cleaning to maintain the necessary humidity.
- Several times a day to lay out the crumb on your stomach. This will reduce the likelihood of painful cramps. Often they are caused by the fact that the baby is not properly applied to the chest, resulting in sucking up the air. Therefore, it is important to learn how to apply the baby to the chest correctly.