How To Make Cold And Cough Syrup At Home For Babies & Toddlers|Ajwain Kadha
Recently my toddler daughter was not well and seasonal changes induced cold and cough which made her cranky and not well. She was not able to eat properly so was not that active! I keep looking for home remedies to treat minor health issues for my daughter! Instead of rushing to the doctor and trouble my child with the strong medicines, I prefer the holistic way to cure cough and cold issues!
Today I am sharing with you an easy and a convenient way to cure cough and cold in babies & toddlers. This remedy can be easily made at home and is completely safe for babies! It hardly costs much and is quite effective in treating the common concerns of cough and cold!
A lot of time we have heard about Ajwain been a great ingredient which possesses medicinal properties to treat various health concerns! Ajwain is an important ingredient in Indian households and is easily available in the kitchen! Ajwain or Carom seeds contain nutrients and minerals along with fat, protein, fiber, sugar, minerals, calories, etc.
We normally use Ajwain, ajowan, omam or carom seeds that play an important role in all the home remedies for cold, cough and chest congestion in babies ,toddlers and adults and so taking cue from there I have tried to make an easy remedy which is quite effective in treating severe cold and cough within a short time!
Ajwain seeds are also known t0 increase gastrointestinal secretions which enhances the efficiency of digestive functions. It is effective in relieving severe stomach pain. Thymol, the essential oil extracted from Carom seeds are used as anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Ajwain which contains the highest percentage of Thymol is used as antiseptic and in the treatment of cough and asthma. Ajwain is also very effective in major respiratory problems such as common cold, cough, bronchitis and nasal congestion.
Ajwain is one of the popular Indian spices and are used by pregnant women during the gestation period and even after delivery as it enhances the digestive power. Since most of the time after delivery, women tend to rest a lot, so ajwain relives them from the gastric issues!
Ajwain has the following medicinal properties-
- The thymol, present in ajwain gives it antimicrobial properties and thus helps to relieve congestion.
- Ajwain seeds are of olive green to brownish color and have oval or elliptical shape. They are very flavoring and these tiny spice seeds have enormous health paybacks too.
- Ajwain seeds are very beneficial for digestive and respiratory problems.
- Ajwain kadha or herbal concoction with ajwain can be given to babies of 6 months and above.
- It is a very simple and effective recipe to combat cough and cold.
- Ajwain – 1 teaspoon
- Tulsi leaves – 8 to 10
- Dry ginger powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Clove – 1
- Black pepper – 5
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Jaggery – 1/3 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
Method of Preparation-
- Add all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed pan and boil for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid, let it cool and then give it to your little one.
- For new born babies and above 1 year, 2 tablespoons of honey can also be added to the recipe/ kadha (once it is cold) and then can be given!
- Babies between 6 months to year can have 1 teaspoon twice a day. They can have it twice in morning post meal and in night for three consecutive days.
- Kids above 18 months can be given 1.5tsp, twice a day. It can be given two times in morning and 3 times at night.
- For babies above 1 year: 1.5-2 tsp in the morning, afternoon & after meals and at night for 3 days.
- Ajwain is not that effective if it is taken with other cough syrups or medicines. So please do not take any other medicine or cough syrups along with Ajwain!
Hope you like this easy remedy to cure cold & cough! Checkout the detailed video below to make this at home!
Have you tried any such remedy for cold & cough?
You might also like to read:-