My girl has started going to play school and its quite a mixed feeling.One is happy that she is now becoming independent but being apart from her also makes my heart heavy.Although there is food arrangement in the school but I have not opted for it.I think I can take out little time and cook her lunch so I am starting these posts so that I can share my food ideas .I will be constantly working on them and trying to give my girl the best nutritious food as much as possible.
I had some black chickpeas (cooked kaale chane) in my fridge so I thought of making chana rice for her.
Recipe is fairly simple and quick and moreover its a nice way to make your fussy todller eat some good plant based protein.
How I made Black Chickpeas Rice:-
- Boiled channas (1/4th cup)- One can always keep stock of boiled channa in the fridge.It’s a quick way to add plant based protein in your kid’s diet.I sometime mash them and add them in the flour to make chapattis as well.
- 1/4th cup rice
- Half chopped onion and tomato
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of garam masala
- Oil /ghee
- Cumin seeds for tempering.
Method and Preperation:-
- Step 1 – For channa you need to soak them for 7-8 hours and pressure cook them .Chick peas can easily last for one week in your fridge.
- Step 2- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds
- Step 3- Add chopped onions and tomatoes saute till they are cooked and turned pink.
- Step4 – Add salt and garam masala.I skip red chilli powder as my girl is not too fond of it
- Step5- Add rice and in one whistle chana rice is ready.You can garnish with chopped corainder as well
A very simple recipe .You can substitue chick peas with boiled rajma or sprouts too
Will be bringing you with more nutritious lunch box ideas in the coming days.
Till then you can check out below recipes as well:-