Pearl Barley Recipe – First Food for Babies (6 months)
Babies have very tiny stomach. So, it is important to make whatever they eat very nutritious. Early days, breast milk gives relief to their hunger. But as days pass, only breast milk is not sufficient. But they do not have the teeth to chew yet, and can hardly swallow even the tiny lump.
Digestion also comes into consideration. Feeding babies at this stage has to be made cautiously. Semi solid foods are the choice that comes to the rescue of baby’s hunger. Semi solid baby food just need to smooth pap like for the ease of swallowing.
One semi solid food we discussed is of Ragi-Wheat-Green gram.
There is yet another first food for babies; Barley. Barley is considered super food. The amount of nutrition is provides is tremendous. Barley provides a lot of benefits to the human body. And especially in babies/child/toddlers it prevents asthama.
Here is an easy preparing Barley recipe for babies. You can begin your baby’s semi solid diet with barley.
I am using Pearl Barley here in the infant recipe.
- 2 spoon of pearl barley.
- 1 cup of water.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the pearl barley under running water.
- Soak the barley in water for half an hour.
- Drain the water used for soaking. Add fresh water and blend. Make a smooth paste.
- In a different vessel, heat one glass of water.
- When the water begin to boil, add the blended barley paste and keep stirring.
- You cannot stop stirring as it will create lumps if you stop.
- It begin to thicken. Add water if needed to adjust the consistency.
- Boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Making a lump free barley baby food is your responsibility. Serve when it is warm.
If you have introduced salt to your baby, you may add salt. Or you can add fruits or milk.
For older babies and toddlers you may add more ingredients and make a variety of flavored barley soups.
Do you give barley to your baby?
You might also like reading these:-