Product Review: Vicks® Humidifier
Our pediatrician advised us to use a humidifier at my daughter’s 2-week checkup. Since my daughter was a winter baby on the American East Coast, it was no surprise that she was subjected to the dry cold air which was further aggravated by the continuous use of the central air conditioning. Because of this at nap times and especially, in the night she used to literally snore. It was a scary noise to come from such a tiny baby. After some looking around, we zeroed in on the Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier. We have been very satisfied with the product, and here’s a detailed review.
A humidifier is…
An appliance that increases the humidity or moisture inside your house or room.
Here’s the Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut Off:
(Image source: www.vicks.com)
It works by…
Heating or boiling water and then releasing steam or moisture into the air. A medicine cup is provided for a medical inhalant like Vicks VapoSteam to help reduce cough and congestion in babies. However, this is advised to be used only for children above 2 years of age or under a doctor’s recommendation.
- Humidification area: 500 sq. ft.
- Automatic shut off
- 1 gallon capacity
- Full tank weight: 9.5 pounds
- Can operate for 12 hours at a stretch for a single filling
- Noise free operation
- Comes with a soft glowing night light
- Two comfort settings for operation
- Medicine cup available for use with humidifier
In the US, this product is easily available in online stores such as Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Target.com, etc. In India, I have only heard of Chicco humidifiers.
The product retails in the range of 30 USD to 45 USD, depending on where you buy it from. I bought it from Amazon for 32 USD .
What I like about Vicks® Humidifier:
- The product delivers what it promises: humidified air. It is very effective – I noticed the difference in my daughter’s breathing in a single night.
- The medicinal cup is a huge advantage.
- It is also effective in inhibiting bacterial growth, thus reducing the spread of bacteria and bacterial infection in air.
- It is very easy to use – just fill the water and switch it on.
- You have to fill it only once for the entire night.
- It not only helps the baby with the breathing but helps keeping the skin of all adults too moist and supple. I don’t have to use any special winter moisturizer for the night, even though my skin is prone to dryness.
- It is easy on the budget.
- The night light is really nice as I don’t need any other light source in the room at nights.
What I don’t like about Vicks® Humidifier:
These are not really cons but one has to be really cautious about these points:
- The mist that comes out is really hot. So when you switch off the unit in the morning, you cannot immediately remove the remaining water.
- It is important to remove the remaining water to prevent stagnation and scaling.
- One has to be very regular with the cleaning aspect else the efficiency of the humidifier is greatly impacted. You have to use a vinegar solution for descaling, and warm to water for all other parts.
- Since the vapors are so hot, you have to be really careful where you place this appliance once your toddler begins to move around. My daughter already tries to push it off our table and I have to keep increasing the height at which it is kept!
The final verdict…
This product is a must have during the cold dry winters, and especially if you use heaters. I recommend this product as it is effective and one of the cheapest in the market.
I’d give it a 4/5 only because of the safety and cleaning aspects (yes, I am a little lazy :-)).
Do share with us if you use a humidifier too, and what kind!
You might also like reading these:-