What is Gripe Water?
Gripe water is a remedy for infants with colic, gastrointestinal discomfort, teething pain, reflux and other stomach ailments. Before it became a commercial product women made it at home. The ingredients are varied and sometimes include alcohol,soda bicarbonate, ginger, dill, fennel and chamomile. Adults may also take gripe water for soothing intestinal pains, gas or other stomach ailments as well.
Read – 39th Week & Still Pregnant
Gripe water was discovered by William Woodward. It originally contained 3.6% alcohol, dill oil, sodium bicarbonate, sugar and water. However today many muslim countries, the U.S. have replaced alcohol and sucrose with other ingredients but sodium bicarbonate continues to be the primary active ingredient, along with the mainstays of dill and fennel oils. Alcohol is not permitted in the gulf and sucrose destroys the teeth.
Read – Normal Or Cesarean Delivery?
Most doctors prescribe it cause it helps a baby digest the milk better.
- Quantity: 200 ml
- Price: 45 INR
The concoction available in India has the following ingredients:
It is called an Ayurvedic Medicine here and contains Sarjikakshara, Anethum Graveolens oil, Sugar and Aqua. It contains preservatives too namely Bronopol, Sodium Methylparaben, Sodium Propylparaben, Sodium Benzoate.
Gripe water smells and tastes yummy. I can say that because I too have it sometimes. It’s sweet and I wonder if that is why a baby feels so pacified after a spoonful.
Read – Farrell – Pure Olive Oil review
Gripe Water Dosage/The dosage is as follows:
- New born infant – 2 1/2 ml (1/2 teaspoonful)
- 1-6 months old – 5 ml (1 teaspoonful)
- 6 months to 1 year – 10 ml ( 2 teaspoonfuls)
- 2 years and above – 10 – 15 ml (2-3 teaspoonfuls)
Gripe Water Ingredients:-
There are several brands of gripe water made by different manufacturers available in the Indian market today and they contain one or more of these ingredients:
- Anise to aid digestion
- Angelica to soothe upset stomach
- Caraway to relieve flatulence and indigestion
- Cardamom to relieves flatulence and indigestion
- Catnip to support digestion and relieve upset stomach
- Chamomile to settle the stomach
- Cinnamon bark to aid digestion and relieve flatulence and vomiting
- Dill to dispels flatulence, stimulate appetite and settle stomach
- Fennel for stomach upset, hiccups, gas
- Ginger to ease nausea and other digestive problems
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to decrease stomach acidity
Read -Read: Quick Dry Sheet For Babies Review
Is gripe water safe?
Gripe water is safe when used as directed but you should consult your pediatrician if you have any concerns about using it. The expiry date to a bottle is about 2 years. It is good to keep a bottle of this especially when you travel. It is not always that a doctor is available and the slightest discomfort in a child is unbearable. It is a sturdy and travel friendly bottle.
Have you tried Woodward’s Gripe water for your baby? Do you know of any other home remedies for baby’s colic?
You might like reading these also:-